Friday, April 18, 2008

Hit Me with your Best SHOT!

I'm terrified of shots... actually, I'm terrified of needles in general. It goes way back. Apparently I would faint from the fear even as a baby! Believe it or not, a few years back, I even fainted at the eye doctor (you know when they stick that thing really close to your eye and blow air on it). As a child I quickly developed the ability to let the nurses know when I was going to faint a good ten seconds or more in advance so they could prepare. Sometimes I do better than others. Maybe I'm learning how to handle the fear.

So you can see why today, when I got my shots for my trip to India (THREE shots -- two in one arm and one in the other) and I didn't faint, I felt like strutting down the street singing, "Hit me with your best shot! Fire away!"

(Of course, I don't mean a word of it -- I will still avoid shots if I can!)

7 comments:

Talia Reed said...

I hear ya! I'm worse about having blood drawn, which I'd never actually done until I was pregnant, and then when I had a c-section it was constant pricking me for blood every hour or so in the hospital.

Kurran said...

I was the same way, GloMo, until I was hospitalized. Just like talia above said, I was pricked so much it doesn't even bother me anymore. Shots - nothing. Blood drawn - nothing. Now *giving* blood - that's a whole other story!!!
Congrats on your non-fainting!!
BTW, I think you have a real gift as a writer. Very funny and poignant. :)

Anonymous said...

oh im the same way. i actually had to have blood drawn for the first time this year. (how did i make it 30 years with out that?) congrats on the non-fainting. i know what a feat it is. so you are one step closer to India. yay!

GloJoMo said...

Yay! I'm not the only one. I feel much better.

Thanks Kurran. I'm not really sure what you're referring to, as I don't see anything on here that showcases my writing, but I used to write a lot and really liked to write poetry. I haven't done any writing like that in a LONG LONG time.

GloJoMo said...

p.s. I'm also married to a writer... maybe some of it is finally starting to rub off!

Kurran said...

I was referring to any of your postings. You have a gift with language. Go back and read your posting "A Different World." It's like a poem unto itself. Also, your take on getting shots and even the title itself is charming. LOVED your poems!

GloJoMo said...

You're too sweet! It's like that cheerleader inside you never left.

Thanks again.