Sunday, March 16, 2008

Other Stuff

My first thought was that I would only post about India on my blog until I got back. I wanted there to be a nice flow of information and I didn't want it interrupted by my random thoughts. But, I can't do it. Now that I have this as an outlet I'm addicted. Or, maybe it is just an excuse so I don't have to start cleaning my dirty house.

Which is my first ramble. Currently there is dust and dog hair on just about everything, and Marley has so kindly scattered old dried leaves from the fall (that we never raked up) all over our floors. There is sunshine pouring through all the windows (FINALLY!!!) and music playing. Usually that is enough to get me into the spring cleaning mode, but not today.

It is amazing what we can get used to. The house in this state would have bothered me to no end a few years ago, but now....Eh, it'll be there for me to clean later. Sometimes I wonder if there is something wrong with me. Why don't I behave more like most women. Or do I, but we're all so good at living a lie. For example, I will rush to try to clean up (a little) if I know family is stopping by and (a lot) if friends are coming over. But, if it is just me and Jesus and the dogs, I'm just not that motivated. I guess the mess doesn't bother me as much as the judgment from others.

My next ramble is all about bees. Do you have any idea how amazing these creatures are? I am constantly amazed at what I learn about them. In third grade we study the life cycle of flowering plants. As a natural extension of that we have to mention bees and their roll in pollination. This year we received an amazing bee video from the school corporation to share with the kids and I found a real beekeeper who agreed to come out to our school and talk to our students about bees. He even brought in real bees. They were in a secure and clear box (no need to worry). I think the other teacher and I asked more questions than the students did. Let me share some fascinating facts.

1. Female bees get no help or pampering, they work from the moment they are born to the moment they die.

2. Male bees get helped out from their cell upon hatching and are immediately fed by the females.

3. The Queen is only the queen because from the moment she was laid as a larva, and for the rest of her life, she receives a constant diet of Royal Jelly which is high in protein.

4. The Worker Bees (females) will do a dance to tell the others where the flowers are.

5. Royal Jelly is made by glands near the head of the worker bees.

6. Wax is produced from glands around their abdomens and is kneaded and chewed until it is pliable.

7. Bees have two stomachs. One is for digestion and the other is to store the nectar they are carrying to the hive.

8. The nectar mixes with enzymes in the bees stomach (helping to change it to honey) and then when they arrive at the hive there are bees waiting to suck this from their stomachs into their stomachs where is mixed with more enzymes and then spit up into the honeycomb cells for storage.

9. The cells are perfect hexagons.

10. For this nectar/enzyme mixture to turn into honey, it has to have the right amount of moisture too much or too little will ruin it. To maintain the correct amount of humidity, there are bees that stand at the edges of the hive and fan it with their wings. Once the honey is ready, the cell is sealed with wax for storage for the winter months.

There's tons more, but I think you get the idea. These are complex and amazing creatures who deserve our utmost respect. Without them we wouldn't have any fruits or vegetables. Worst of all, we wouldn't have honey. Which by the way (if it is not tampered with) will NEVER spoil.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

my next door neighbor's dad is a beekeeper so we have helped him with the hives and bottleing and such... im so excited for you about the india trip. i cant wait to hear (read) every detail. :)

GloJoMo said...

Thanks, I'm excited too.

How cool that you have gotten to help out with the bees!!!! I'm so jealous. Can you tell I'm excited about these guys??

Talia Reed said...

I'm like you when it comes to house-cleaning apathy. And when friends, particularly of the female sort, are coming over, I suddenly remember how to clean a house. But, haven't we got better things to do? Perhaps #1 on the bee list has quite a lot to do with it.

GloJoMo said...

Yes, we women can be so judgmental. How is it that MEN aren't judged for a messy house. It is only the woman who is judged.

I still haven't done any real cleaning. Just the necessary stuff and Jesus has probably done more of it than I have.

It is report card time and parent/teacher conference time, so I have an excuse, right?