Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Serenity

I've been getting steadily upset recently with our education system. I see so many problems with it. The biggest problem being that the government is putting fear into the administrators and teachers. This, in turn, is causing everyone to make dumb choices which ultimately harm our children.

Can you say No Child Left Behind?

Didn't think so.

So today, during our Teacher Training Day, when they mandated that a four-hour assessment tool be used every quarter, I really wanted to flip out. I was more upset than I have been in a while. So today, when I came home to meditate, it suddenly hit me.



This is out of your control! Focus on what you CAN control. What can you control?



And suddenly I began picturing small, smiling moments between me and my students and a huge weight was taken off my shoulders. I am not making the kind of impact I'd like to be making (because of forces out of my control) but I am making a difference and it matters to these kids.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wait, you mean we can't control everything? Man, no wonder I'm so frustrated! :)

Good luck. Lots more smiley happy moments for you & your students. zanna