Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Are You Comfortable?

It turns out that fear is a bigger motivator than peace. That's the only thing I can come up with to explain people's behavior. I'm talking about dishonest people. My guess is that they are afraid of what others might think, so they lie. I know I can't be the only one who is so uncomfortable with dishonesty that I would rather face the truth, no matter how ugly, no matter what the consequences.

Don't mistake me for someone who doesn't EVER lie. I did plenty of lying when I was a kid, but I hated every minute of it. I am still haunted by those moments of dishonesty. And, I am not above stretching the truth a little when the moment is right.

But, I'm not talking about those kinds of lies. I'm talking about a flat-out-lie. Is it more comfortable for some people to lie than tell the truth? If it is possible, I truly can't understand it.

Growing up, I hated the feel of certain things. The tags in the back of my shirts, the seam at the toe end of my socks, velvet, wool, and even a bra (still bothers me, but I can tolerate it for about 12 hours a day). Living with a lie, for me, is like living with a velvet dress, socks seams digging into my pinky toes, while wearing a wool bra.

Perhaps, for some, the truth feels like a wool bra. Perhaps, for them, a lie is a warm, soft, downy coat with the hood drawn over the head that protects them from the cold sting of the truth. Perhaps, they are more comfortable with lies.

No comments: