Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Post 15

July 16--

Well, I finally got my flight arrangements changed. I'll have the exact same schedule, I'll just leave 9 days later. So I'll arrive home the evening of the 30th. It is a little longer than I wanted to stay, but there weren't any flights available on the days I wanted, so...

I enjoy talking with Sanal, the older son of the Kumar family. Probably because communicating with him is so much easier than with any other Indian I know. He has had a great advantage over many others because he lives so close to the Ashram, he gets to talk to so many different people. English is the language that he has in common with all the people who come to the ashram. He has a great curiosity for cultures other than his own and I of course want to know about their culture. So, we spend a lot of time talking. He's been trying to explain cricket (sp?) to me, but I just don't get it. I've stopped a couple of times by the "field" where they play every night from 4:30-6:30 to watch, but it just makes me more confused. I say "field" because it is really just a section of the beach where there are no buildings. There are still coconut trees that get in the way, but it is as good as it gets around here.

Just as with Declan, he has heard me say so many great things about Jesus that he wants to meet him. He said several times tonight how much he'd like to meet my husband. He wants me to send a dvd video of our house/life so he can see the "real" American and not just the glimpses he gets from tv. He has a mac laptop that an ashram visitor gave to him, so he can watch the video on that. (These people have this strange effect on others that people will just give them stuff -- like $500 dollars for college!!)

I was telling him today about strawberries, blueberries, and pizza! (Can you tell I'm missing American foods?) He's never had any of them. But he's heard of pizza. He'd really like to come to the U.S. sometime, but he says it is VERY difficult to get a visa there. He keeps asking me if there are Electricians in the U.S. and jokingly says, "Maybe I'll work as an Electrician in the U.S. someday."

Shankar is going in a few days to register for his classes. And Sanal told me that he found out he'll be going to a nearby state to do his internship. I told Sanal that his mom will be so happy when they are both gone so she can rest! I then asked him to translate and tell his mom what I said. She smiled/laughed and gave me a thumbs up! They are typical Indian boys in the fact that they will sit down and ask their busy mother to stop what she is doing and make them some chai or coffee! Their excuse is that she makes it better than they do (which is true -- because I've had chai made by all three) but I told them that when they are away from home who will make it then? It would be wise to learn from her how she makes it, so they can have good coffee/chai when they aren't home. I don't think I convinced them. Those arguments never convinced me when I was that age either!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

How funny about "mom makes it better". Your dad and Melissa always say that food/drink tastes better when someone else prepares it. You gave them good advice, which they will realize once they are away from home.

Although you are staying a little longer than you wanted, at least you will be home in time for your anniversary.

So they are excited about pizza? You could teach them how to make pizza. Let me know if you want me to email you a recipe. What did you say was the name of the sugar used there?

Mom

BTW, I love reading about your adventures on your blog.

Anonymous said...

Hi GloMo,
I've enjoyed reading your blog this summer. Did you know there is a yoga studio in South Bend? It is right across from the Chocolate Cafe. I've taken a couple of beginner classes there and I really like it.
I understand your feelings about the stray dogs. My dog, Lucy, is at the vet today for a procedure on her anal glands. I really hope it works because they've really been bothering her. Anyway, it was so hard to leave her at the vet's this morning because she was freaked and looking at me with those big brown eyes when I left ... Then at home the house feels so empty without her! I can go get her at 5:00, though.
I'm so glad (but not surprised) that enough people donated money to pay for Shakar's schooling!
Hope you have a good trip back to the good ole USA.
Linda

Anonymous said...

David says hi and he can't wait to see you at Christmas. I'm glad your panchakarma is over now. Take it easy... you've been on a bland diet, eating fried chicken now would be traumatic to your digestive system! But I suppose you're used to that now. :)

Can't wait for you to be home again. Glad all is well.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Gloria!!
You are certainly taking advantage of everything the Ashram has to offer! many of the things you are doing , most of us would be too chicken to try - good for you! This has to be a life-changing experience for you. - Look out Jesus!!!!!!! This weeks Newsweek magazine has an article on AMMA and her tour of the U.S. I will save it for you. I was happy to know who she was thanks to you!!! You have educated a lot of us!!! Enjoy your last week and the chicken!! See you before we know it! Penny

Jesus Moya said...

Damn! I might have to meet your husband now, he sounds FANFRIGGINTASTIC!

Kurran said...

I am glad things are really working out for you! I have loved reading all of your adventures every day. Relax and enjoy your extra 9 days!!

Anonymous said...

So will you be staying at the ashram the whole time, or going into the city your friend first told you about? Can't wait to hear more!

GloJoMo said...

Thanks for the laugh Bub! I just started thinking about how much I miss you making me laugh. I was bragging about you again and how you can make me laugh no matter how mad I am... then I started to miss that. I haven't had a good laugh in a long time.

Mom, I think when I go to Cochin, I will bring a pizza back for them. They have a Pizza Hut there. Now, I know Pizza Hut is not the representative you want for American style pizza, but it will give them an idea. It will be cold too, but they're college age and all college kids eat cold pizza!

Linda, I've been thinking about that Yoga place. I knew about it, but I didn't like the prices. I'm already paying for a gym membership that I don't use. Still, I might look into it.

Penny, that is so cool that Amma was in Newsweek. She is pretty popular all over the world. People come here from all over.

Zanna, tell David I said hello and give him a BIG hug and kiss for me. I like to look through the pics that I have on my laptop of me holding him and feeding him when Jesus surprised me with that visit.

Jenn, read my newest blog entry -- it will answer your question.

Thanks Kurran.

Love to all. Miss you guys.