Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Post 19

July 23 -
Wow! Where do I begin? I had an amazing day! Last night I hired a taxi (for today) to take me around to the popular sight-seeing places in Fort Cochin. I got to see a Jewish Synagogue, a Portuguese Palace (called the Dutch Palace because they did some renovations), an old Dutch graveyard, and St. Francis Church. The coolest part was when the fishermen called me over and took video of me "helping" pull the chinese fishing nets up. I say "helping" with quotation marks because I had to use little to no effort. They did all the work in pulling.
And of course, I did a LOT of shopping! I blew through almost all the money I took out in no time flat! Not to mention, I've decided to stay an extra night here in Cochin because tomorrow I'm going on a backwater boat tour. I'm really excited about this. This is something Jesus and I saw on a travel video and we both thought it would be really cool to do. I thought I wouldn't get a chance because it is the rainy season. I had actually given up on the idea until the man who runs the travel desk downstairs mentioned it. So, I'll do the backwater tour tomorrow and then I'll take the early morning train back to Kollam on Friday. Just in time to see Amma.
After all the shopping, I took a rest in my room, and then I went to see a traditional religious type of dancing called Kathakali Dance. This particular family that puts on this show has been performing these dances for generations. It was very informative. It was also nice to hear the narrator explain at the beginning that Hindus also believe there is only one formless God, but since a formless God is difficult to conceive and hold in one's heart, the Hindus use their imagination and create characters like Vishnu, Ganesha, etc. It was nice to know that I had understood it correctly. He says God gave an imagination, we need to use it. The crappy part is that my battery went out right when the dancing started! I checked the batter before I left because I wanted to make sure that didn't happen. It showed only one third was used, so I thought, that should be more than enough. Except the last two thirds go faster than the first third. Which doesn't make any sense to me, but I've learned my lesson. I was able to get a few crappy pics with the cell phone. :( Oh well, I'm sure I can find some YouTube video of the dancing to share with my class.
I walked there and back by myself (only like a 2 minute walk). I made sure with the travel agent that it would be safe for me to walk back in the dark by myself. He assured me it was. And it was, but there was a guy waiting outside the gates who started walking with me and talking to me right away. He tried asking me out for a drink. I, of course, said no. It was just weird. I made sure to mention MY HUSBAND as soon as possible so this guy would maybe give up and go away. But I think that here in India it is normal to ask someone out like that as a friend. Also, I think they REALLY like to talk to westerners and find out about their lives. Still, there was no way I was going to go. I didn't feel unsafe or get a bad vibe off the guy, but common sense is common sense!
Ummm, did I mention I did a lot of shopping? The rickshaw drivers here will get a free liter of gas if they bring westerners to certain fancy upscale shops to look around. My taxi driver did this, but I spent very little time there. Then later a rickshaw driver asked me to do him the favor and take a look at another. I thought, I have the time, and I don't have to buy anything -- plus this guy will get some free gas. It was my good deed for the day. Let's just put it this way, last year for our anniversary Jesus bought me a ring I really wanted at an art gallery in Traverse, Michigan. This year Jesus bought me a ring I really wanted in Kochi, India!! ; ) He just doesn't know about it yet. It is a black stone called the "Star of India" because when light shines it reflects back like a star. The setting is raised and has marking on it. I asked what the markings were and he said they were the same markings on the Taj Mahal.
It helped that they treated me like royalty when I was there. It is common to get served tea while they lay out all their merchandise in front of you. Service is something Indians excel at. Today, in efforts to get me to buy things, the following things have been said to me "your highness", "the jewelry here isn't as beautiful as you are", "I've been waiting patiently for two hours for you to come back this way, please don't break my heart and not stop and look in my shop", "Please just come into my shop to give me good luck". I actually never stopped at the shops where they owners were telling me these things. Although, I won't deny that it is flattering to hear so many nice things -- even if it is only because they want your money!
I was very proud of myself. I did a lot of bargaining today. I got almost everyone to come down in price. For example, this guy wanted to sell me a cheap little necklace that matched the shirt I was wearing today. I asked how much, he said 100 rps. When I declined, he asked me how much I would pay. I said I'd pay only 10 rps. He reluctantly agreed. Another guy wanted me to buy some paintings each for 200 rps. I said I'd buy two for 200 rps. After he saw that I really didn't care if I got them or not, he finally came down to 200 rps. Also the ring that Jesus bought for me ; ) was orginally about 1600 rps and I got it for 1400.
There was a fancy bar I came across that sold Indian wine. Jesus and I enjoy trying different types of wines. So, I went in to see about trying a glass, but they only sell the bottles. I didn't want to buy a whole bottle before trying it. Plus there is that stupid 3 fluid oz. rule for airlines now and there is now way I'd trust the bottle to last if it was in my checked luggage.
Okay, that's all for now. I need to get some rest for my big day tomorrow. It will be from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm. They provide pick-up, drop-off, and lunch all for about $14. Can you believe it?

4 comments:

Kurran said...

Oh, I am sooo envious! You look awesome, btw, with your cutey-patooty hair cut and all of that jewelry. It's a great look on you, GloMo!!!
Yes, I am eating my heart out!! I absolutely LOVE the necklace! Wooo Hoooo!!!
Way to bargain shop, girl! It sounds like you had a blast today. Live it up!!! :)
*blowing hugs and kisses half way around the world*

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are having a a wonderful time and you look absolutely gorgeous. I am also impressed by how adventurous you are; I can't wait to read your next installment.

Mom

Anonymous said...

What a grand adventure you are having Gloria. I'm so envious.

GloJoMo said...

Thanks guys! I am having a blast!