Thursday, August 28, 2008

Well today got even "better"

http://masterworks.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/aggressive-children.jpg

I had a VERY unruly child throwing a chair, slamming my door, taking things off my desk and chucking them, stamping all my papers, standing on chairs, etc. You get the idea. It was horrible.

I'm so used to our old principal who did not like you to send students to the office that I didn't even think of sending him. I figured "I'll deal with this on my own, like I always have". I've had a lot of success with ignoring this type of behavior. For example the student who tore apart my classroom and wrote FUCK YOU with a crayon on my things, got his act together and I only had to ignore that one episode.

Good news is this principal will not tolerate it. She said I should have send him to her immediately and he would have been suspended! I was very pleased! Looks like something might get done about this kid after all. He's been like this since kindergarten!

Not to worry... he is up for testing for Emotional Handicap. If this kid doesn't qualify, then no one should.

Still, it is enough to make you think... "Why am I doing this job?"

I had thought about changing to a private school over the summer, but that was only because I was hoping to teach Spanish to elementary kids. (I could never do the older kids.) I've always felt that if I'm going to be in a regular classroom (you know not teaching something cool like art or Spanish) then I need to be with the disadvantaged kids. I feel like I'm a pretty good teacher, but more importantly that I'm a very loving teacher. I feel like these kids need me more... I don't know I guess rich kids need love too. ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a kid throw a chair across the room once -- and he was a first grader! I also have a kid up for testing for EH this year. He was at Madison Center for one entire quarter in first grade and continued to have major problems last year in 2nd. Weird thing is he has been fine so far for me. I'm trying not to stress him unnecessarily, but I still kind of feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop! Sad thing is he has a lot of gaps in his education because of behavior issues, so has a lot of catching up to do.
After 3 weeks I feel like we're starting to get a routine going, but I still feel like I'm only fitting in about two-thirds of what I should be each day. As in, "Oh crap! Forgot to do ISTEP review again today!" :) Still, I feel lucky compared to 2 of my colleagues -- downtown closed a section of 2nd grade at Swanson, so Julie Craig is switching from 2nd to third on Tuesday and the 3rd grade teacher she bumped is headed to Harrison. Start about starting all over again! Linda

GloJoMo said...

My little terror was great for the first two weeks and then it all fell apart. I hope yours lasts longer.

Penny and I were both talking about how we are WAY behind in math, but that ISTEP prep takes up so much time.

I feel really good because for the first time, I fee like I established a solid routine. My students already know what is coming next.

Anonymous said...

Has anyone asked WHY he's behaving this way?