Sunday, June 1, 2008

8

I just finished the India section of the book Eat, Pray, Love. What's funny is that I'm not so concerned with traveling on a plane halfway across the world or traveling in a taxi with a complete stranger for 3 hours through scarcely populated villages anymore. No, after reading that section again, now I am more concerned with traveling on my spiritual journey.

I know that everyone is different and so their spiritual travels will be different as well. So I can't go basing everything off of what Liz Gilbert writes. But I have already imagined that my physical and emotional cleansing would be extremely difficult for me. It is a scary experience to let go of everything that is familiar to you (no matter how poisonous it might be). I plan on letting go of my most comforting crutches: my husband, sugar, control (imagined and real), and fear. Hearing her account has got me focused more on preparing for my spiritual journey than on my physical journey.

I see this as a good thing. First of all, I didn't use the words "scared". This word used to pop up in every other sentence I spoke. And I'm not just using a different word -- I can honestly say, I am concerned and focused but not "scared". Second, there is little I can control when it comes to flying and riding in a taxi. I can only control what I think, feel, and do. So, isn't it better that I be focused on what I CAN control, than on what I WANT to control?

Hah! After writing that last sentence I realized that my whole life I have expected God to worry about my spiritual journey and let me take care of everything else. But now I think it is the other way around. I think God takes care of everything else so that we can focus on our own spirituality!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

amen sister. i am praying for your journey. my hope for you is you develop a "real" relationship with God. Everyones is different and i cant wait to hear how he touches you.

GloJoMo said...

I could make a completely inappropriate sexual joke based on those last words... so I will,

Being away from my husband for six weeks, it'll be nice to be touched!!

;)

Anonymous said...

lol. here i was trying to be all serious... but i did walk into that. ;)

Busstogate said...

Are you familiar with Amma, the Indian hugging saint from Karbala?

amma.org?

Talia Reed said...

So did you like that book, overall? When I worked at the Notre Dame bookstore last fall we sold a few of them. Whenevery someone bought a book from Notre Dame, that didn't have to do with football or Notre Dame, I took notice.

GloJoMo said...

busstogate -- you must not be familiar with my blog because that is where I am going. To the Amritapuri Ashram in Kerala where Amma is the guru.

talia -- I love the book. That's why I bought it and why I'm going to India. It is probably not for every woman, but it spoke directly to me. I recommend it.

Charmi said...

Yep, the spiritual journey, it is incredibly scary and the best thing you'll ever do.

Busstogate said...

Actually, Gloria, I began reading your blog right adfter we met at the Audobon picnic. I noticed then you were going to Karala, (not Karbala, heavens, I am so mixed up, even though I knew better!) and immediately Amma came to mind, even though I don't think you mentioned her in recent entries.

I heard of her via alt-rock guitar legend J. Mascis of the band Dinosaur Jr. He even did a tribute record to her:

http://www.amazon.com/J-Friends-Sing-Chant-Amma/dp/B000E3LJP8/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=IRUJ3O0VDMZ3D&colid=3627WBMUJE04W

I've been wanting to check out one of her Darshans for awhile but the Chicago ones never seem to work out for me timewise,although I know spirituality has its own time. I am very excited for you!

GloJoMo said...

Sorry, busstogate -- I don't remember your name. I think you were the one who made the rice and beans, right?

Also, I totally didn't mean to sound as rude as I think my response came off. But Jesus was teasing me all night last night about how rude I was to you. Very sorry again.

And, you are right, I have not mentioned her recently. It was many posts ago that I explained all the details.

I knew Amma was pretty popular, but I had not idea HOW popular.

She actually won't be there while I am at the ashram -- she will be traveling.

And thanks, I am very excited too.

Busstogate said...

Yeah, it's Tom. I was not offended, as I stumbled upon the writer's group in much the same awkward fashion I that I came upon your blog.

Plus, with Jesus on my side, I am what you'd call a "can't miss" intruder! :P Hope to see some pictures of the ashram etc.

P.S. I read a good biography of Amma a couple of years ago that did much in the way of both reinforcing her impact upon the world and if this is possible mythifying and demythifying her presence at the same time:

http://www.amazon.com/Amma-Healing-Heart-Judith-Cornell/dp/068817079X/ref=pd_bbs_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212449665&sr=8-3

GloJoMo said...

Oh, good to know. I'll have to check that out.

You're just full of useful information.

GloJoMo said...

Also, if you go under Feb. and March in the blog archives you'll see all the stuff I posted about my destination. Although, it sounds like you already know a lot about it.