Saturday, June 14, 2008

Post 3

June 13th -- I am exhausted! Today was a crazy full day, but it was so much fun. After breakfast and seva, Nicole asked me if I wanted to take a rickshaw with her to Kollam (which is about an hour away -- I thought the ashram was located in Kollam, but I guess not). Anyway, I agreed and we had a great time. I fell in love with all the fabrics and punjabi outfits I saw. I got a little carried away and picked out more things than I had money for -- so I thought, well that’s okay -- I’ll just use my Visa Debit Card and let Jesus know how much would be coming out of our account. Only one problem. I forgot to bring my Visa Debit Card!! Of course only I would do something so stupid. So the guy is determined to make this sale, so he takes us to the bank so I can exchange some traveler’s checks that I brought with me. Which is great, but the problem is I still don’t have enough to buy everything I had picked out. So, I decide that I’ll take some of it now and come back some other day to get the rest. The guy was super-duper sweet and helpful and understanding. He spent a lot of time on me and didn’t make the sale he was hoping for. So, I gave him a pretty nice tip. The funniest part was when we tried to fit 4 people (+1 driver) in a tiny rickshaw. Nicole had to sit on my lap. She was very patient with me as I decided what I wanted to buy (which is not easy to do when there are SOOOOOOOOO many beautiful fabrics) and when we had to make a special trip to the bank.

She’s now trying to convince me to take a 4 hour bus ride to Cochin with her before she has to leave at the end of the week. It sounds like it would be a lot of fun -- except for the bus ride, which would equal 8 hours total on a hot crowded bus with stinky, sweaty people (us included). I told her I’d have to think about that one.

I had some delicious food today. I cheated and bought food from the Western Cafe (as it is called). For breakfast I had an omelet sandwich (which really isn’t an omelet at all) and for dinner a soy burger and fries!!! YUMMY! I shared my french fries with Nicole and she shared her chocolate cupcake with me. :)

I didn’t take a nap today. Which means I am exhausted right now, so I’m going to bed.

I noticed that the internet cafe is back and running. The problem is that it was closed when I was able to use it. So, tomorrow I think I’ll be able to actually log and post all this stuff I’ve been writing.

Love you all and miss you!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glo,
It's great to finally hear from you. I have been diligently checking your blog since you left in hopes of a posting...AND HERE WE ARE!

I love to read what you have post because it keeps me coming back for more...sort of like a never ending book.

Cuidate. I miss you.

Kurran said...

Penny was right on your other post ... it is nice to live this experience vicariously through you. OOOOOOHHHH! I wish I were there shopping with you.
Hang tough, sweetie!!!!!
Kurran

Talia Reed said...

I'm dying to see pictures! You are so brave.

Anonymous said...

Gloria, I've been checking like 10 times a day to make sure you were ok!! Keep writing, there's no such thing as too much. Take lots of pictures!! Glad you found some good food and good shopping, you know what's important! Hang in there, it gets better everyday. Hey, where does that Kentucky girl live??

Anonymous said...

Hey, Nicole must be pretty little if she sat on YOUR lap!! He He!

GloJoMo said...

Nicole is very skinny!

Any I think Allison lived somewhere near Cincinatti, OH??? She doesn't plan on going back though.