Saturday, June 14, 2008

Post 1

I made it safe and sound to the Ashram. I am typing this up on my laptop and will post it later on my blog, because we currently don’t have any internet. Right now it is about 8:30 a.m. your time and about 6 p.m. my time. I just got my room all set up. Right now, I’m not sharing with anybody, but at any time, they could assign someone to be my roommate. I don’t know where they’ll fit, but I guess we’ll figure that out when the time comes.

Well, where do I start? I have so many stories to tell you. I’m going to make titles for each of the topics, so I don’t forget and I’ll fill them as I have time.

Crying

I really thought I would be able to say goodbye to Jesus without crying. I don’t know who I was trying to fool. I was flooded with SO MANY emotions at once, all I could was cry. Of course I felt nervous and a little scared. Of course I felt sad at having to leave Jesus for 6 weeks. But what really did me in was the overwhelming gratitude I felt at having the most understanding and selfless husband in the world. Not once did express jealousy over the fact that I was traveling without him. (It is a dream of ours to do a lot of traveling together.) Not once did show an ounce of resentment. His only focus was making sure I was prepared for this trip so I could enjoy it.

Food

I hate to admit it, but I think I was seduced by the airline food!! It was shockingly good and there was so MUCH! It seemed like every time I turned around they were feeding us. Every meal came with a main course, at least two-three sides, a bread roll, dessert, water, and then your choice of coffee or tea. Now, mind you that most this food was not pre-packaged like we are used to. Most of this food was served in actual dishes (plastic). Also, they came around with actual tea pots and coffee pots and poured your choice of drink for you. I really enjoyed the meals.

The People

Indians, from what I can tell, are not a patient people. I used to think that I was an impatient person, but compared to these people, I could be a model of patience. They don’t seem to have any special rules or courtesies for women, children, and the elderly. And they have no sense of what a line is or how it works. Most of them I have found are very friendly and helpful. Well, that is except for the younger women, who will stare and giggle at me. I really think that they think I am a Lesbian, what with my super short hair, pants, and non-dainty ways. At first, I thought I was imagining things (and that is still a possibility) but it seems a bit coincidental that all the young girls stare a little too long and start whispering to their friends. However, I remember being that age. All my friends and I did was make fun of people who didn’t look like, talk like, and behave just like us.

The Driving (a.k.a. The Suicide Attempting)

I tried to remain as calm as possible during the 3 hour taxi ride, which is hard to do. I’m not sure why they have lines dividing the roads into lanes -- they don’t pay attention to them. So far, this is my understanding of Indian driving: Pass up as many vehicles on the road as possible, as fast as you can. Feel free to pass on a curve. Honk to let the driver in front of you know that they are going too slow, that you are passing them, or just for the fun of it. Flash your headlights to let the on coming car know that if one of you doesn’t get out of the way fast, there will be a head-on collision. Then, get back into your lane at the last possible second, just to show you’re not chicken.

The Sights

India reminds me a lot of Mexico. As far as the poverty, living conditions, and what-not. The backwaters and ocean views are gorgeous. The crappy thing is that we are not allowed to take photos inside the ashram -- not even of the beautiful views!! (That is a very dumb rule in my humble opinion. I might have to break it on the last day I’m here.) There are coconut trees and banana plants everywhere you look. The waves crashing on the shore are pretty big and pretty dangerous I hear.

The Ashram

Interesting. That is the best I can explain it for now. I’m still learning all the rules and routines. Everyone is helpful and patient with me as I ask and re-ask questions. At first I thought I had no electricity in my room. I tracked down the electrical guys and they sent someone right away. Turns out there is a switch (outside of my room) that has to be turned on before the electricity will work. I don’t understand the purpose of this switch and I don’t like the idea of someone being able to turn off my power. There are people here from many different places. The ones I’m pretty sure of are Spain, France, and Poland. But, I’m sure there are many more. I’ve purchased my first ashram approved outfit. I figured I’m getting enough stares with the hair, I’ll at least make sure my clothes fit in. It is also recommended that you do this so as not to offend the very traditional community around the ashram (which come and visit throughout the day). Today and probably tomorrow, and plan to stay to myself and observe a lot. I don’t feel like participating in any of the activities yet and I have not visited the seva office. Turns out at this ashram, seva is an option. They ask that you volunteer 2 hours a day to some task. I saw a sign that said they were looking for English teachers at one of the grade schools that Amma has set up. I thought that sounded like fun. It might mean that I’ll get to leave the ashram on a regular basis, which I think I’m going to need to do to get through this 6 weeks. It’s funny. I’ve been thinking how the 6 weeks was going to fly by. But now that I’m here, and I feel each minute passing slowly by, I’m thinking... “Wow, SIX WEEKS at an ashram! What were you thinking?”

XOXOXOXOXOXO to all! Love you and miss you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, gloria!

Its so nice to hear about the start of your adventure! Wow!!!!! right now I feel like you are my 3rd daughter- my girls are experiencing all the same feelings that you are- I'm sure at first it is overwhelming - but trust me, it gets easier..It's just a lot to process at first. But in the end you will have such confidence having seen and done all that is coming. And what stories you will have to tell!!!!! I am amazed already. i am happy to get to hear about your experiences and learn a little about India with you. Thanks for letting us all come along (vicariously)!!! Keep writiing!!!!! Enjoy!!! Penny

Kurran said...

GLO MO!!!!!!! I have been checking your blog daily to see when you would post. I am so thrilled to hear about your shall we call them adventures?!

The lesbian comment cracked me up. They probably do think that! Blow them a kiss - ha, ha!!

I wish you could post pics of the ashram. You know me ... I'd love to see your new outfits!!!!!!
Hugs and kisses,
Kurran :)
P.S. I'm not sure who you were trying to fool by thinking you wouldn't cry. Girl, you love that boy!!!!

Anonymous said...

glo. i like reading your blog and the way that you think. you think like an american (i am american too). Try to think alot while you are there. You said that "you don't like that they can turn off your power/electricty from the outside" Have you thought that it's not your power, but theirs. Think about it. Didn't you also say somewhere that you need to work on giving up on control. You are not in control of the electricty ! I am not trying to be mean, only helpful.