Monday, June 23, 2008

Good Cause

There is a beautiful family here just outside the ashram where we all like to go have a cup of chai. There is a beautiful wife, hard-working husband, and two boys. Actually, they're men now. One is 21 and the other 18. They are extremely sweet and just good people. You can see it in their eyes and smile. The 18 year old, Shanker, and I were talking and he told me that he cannot go to college because they are spending all their money on the oldest to go. He said this is normal here. I asked him if he could go, would he? Where would he choose to go? What would he study? How much would it cost?

He said he would go to ALFA (http://www.alfainstitute.com/index.htm) and study welding. He said the total cost would be 20,000 rupees ($500).

I then asked if someone could give him the money, would he go, and would his parents allow it, would his parents be offended?

He said yes he would go and no his parents wouldn't be offended. I double checked this with the parents.

So, I wrote to Jesus asking if he'd be willing to help this family out. He says we can help, but right at this moment he doesn't feel comfortable giving the whole $500. (He's doing a bunch of home improvement projects that we've put off for years and doesn't want to run out of money.) So, I thought that MAYBE some of you might want to pitch in whatever you can to help this family out. I can post pictures and maybe even video, if it makes it seem more personal. They have invited me for dinner tonight, so I can take some then.

Please, I don't want anyone to feel pressure or guilty if you don't want/can't help out. I just thought I'd ask. A lot of times we want to help, but we just don't know who or where. I thought this was a good cause. This small thing could change this guy's life forever. A little bit of money goes a long way here in India.

There is something you should know first though. Since this is such a small amount, I don't think it is worth hiring a lawyer to draw up papers that they sign stating that they will use this money for college ONLY. So, if you give this money, then you would have to give it as a gift and understand that it is possible that they may not use it the way we intend. I seriously doubt this family would do something like that. They are not greedy, but they are human, and they come from a very different culture than we do. In there culture, it may be OK to take money for one thing and use it for another. I don't know. So, if you give money, it would have to be with this in mind.

If it sounds like people are interested in this, then I can discuss the best way to handle the money with Jesus and let you all know what to do. Please don't give money if you feel uncomfortable with the idea. This all requires a lot of trust on your part... trust in Jesus and I and trust in the people to use your money as we say we will. I understand if this not something you'd want to do.

If it is... then please let me know what you'd like to give.

Thanks to everybody in advance. Love you all.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glo, I will give some serious thought to your proposition. Do you have a paypal account or something we could "wire" the money to, so that you could get it while in India?

Anonymous said...

Glo,
We are giving our donation directly to Gene for further disbursement as you see fit.

We miss you.

Much Love and lots of hugs.

GloJoMo said...

Super cool guys!! I really didn't think anyone would consider it.

Jesus reminded me of the tight spot all Americans are in with gas/living expenses going up all the time.

I Jesus and I do have a paypal account. I'm not sure how it works though. We're only using it when purchasing things on line.

I personally am going to try to spend as little here in India as possible so that I can use some of that money towards his education.

Did I tell you guys they had me over for dinner the other night and cooked fish, rice, and a vegetable mix for me. It was delicious!!

Thank you Chila. You guys are probably the ones who can least afford to give money right now, with all your mom's medical bills... so your donation means even more!

Anonymous said...

Well, we consider this to be important. Besides, certain things are meant to be and at times we are presented with opportunities to pay it forward, and so here we are.

Much love to you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gloria,
We could certainly chip in a little. It is amazing to think such a small amount could change someone's life. $500 is less than 10 tanks of gas in my car! Let me know the "hows" for donating.
Linda

Kurran said...

Agreed with Linda. Bill and I will contribute a little. It is not as much as we would like due to a new vehicle, etc. this summer.

What a great idea, GloMo!!!! :)

GloJoMo said...

Hey thanks guys!! Anything is appreciated. I wish Jesus and I could pay for it all ourselves. It is amazing how fast money goes in the u.s. and how far it goes here!

You all are beautiful people -- really.

Anonymous said...

The path to God is not what man chooses for it to be. The path to God is what God declares it to be. Man must choose between his own way and God's way. Find truth and you will find your way to God.